Policy Engagement Manager
Employer: Inclusion Economics India Centre at Krea University
Location: New Delhi, India
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India Centre at Krea University (formerly EPoD India at IFMR) works in close collaboration with Inclusion Economics Yale, based at Yale University’s Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
The Policy Engagement Manager will help manage Inclusion Economics India Centre’s (i.e. India)’s government relations, stakeholder relationships, and capacity building and communications activities across research portfolios. The position is also responsible to support strategic internal and external communication activities, in particular events and outputs to communicate effectively about i.e. India’s work and impact. S/he will play an active role in trainings and external-facing events with policy stakeholders, content development for policy engagement events (workshops, policy dialogues, trainings), and developing and contributing to policy-research collaborations to build organizational and institutional capacities to use evidence. The selected candidate will work closely on communication and strategic policy engagement with staff at Inclusion Economics Yale and with teams working on affiliated research at the Governance Lab in Nepal.
- Develop and foster strategic relationships with external stakeholders, including policymakers of all levels of the government, donors, and other mission-aligned individuals and institutions.
- Proactively and independently work closely with researchers and leadership to identify, lead, and implement a targeted and integrated program of engagement and communications along with staff at Inclusion Economics Yale.
- Develop strong relations with government officials, help conceptualize new research projects that align with our portfolios, as well as identify opportunities for replicating and scaling-up of projects.
- Work with government officials to encourage and enhance the use of rigorous evidence-based policymaking in their departments, and institutionalize practices to make such policy-engagements effective.
- Represent our research and policy engagements in a variety of written and in-person forums to engage effectively in the research-to-policy space and communicate effectively about our work to external stakeholders. Written communications may include policy briefs, published articles and blogs, and reports.
- Oversee and implement all aspects pertaining to administration of external-facing policy engagements ranging from policy dialogues and conferences to workshops and trainings. This oversight includes coordinating with collaborating institutions, developing and effectively delivering content, and ensuring all administration and logistics are executed effectively.
- Draft research-policy memos, presentations, op-eds, and background notes for high-level partner meetings, and oversee immediate follow-up on such meetings, including related to basic content and data-related requests.
- Develop and implement systems to effectively organize, monitor, and systematize policy engagement efforts and auxiliary support structures.
- Build capability and capacity in the research management team for effective partnership management, deeper understanding of the policy environment, and inform and support fundraising initiatives in the organization.
- Other activities to support our strategy in India and South Asia, as requested.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as economics, public policy/administration, and/or political science
- Strong understanding of research design, basic econometrics, and evaluation methodologies, as well as public policy-oriented topics and policy and implementation in South Asia – India in particular
- At least 5 years of experience in a position that includes significant external network development and stakeholder engagement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and strong public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate research findings to a non-technical audience
- Willingness to visit research project sites and engage in research content and methodology
- Ability to think creatively, innovate, strategize, set priorities, manage a workplan, and evaluate progress with minimal supervision
- Experience working across multiple projects and managing multiple internal and external relationships
- Experience managing stakeholder and policy programs, including convening policy forums, communications outputs, and thought leadership activities
- Proven track record of carrying out high-quality research, policy, and/or advocacy work
- Working knowledge of Hindi
- 7 years or more of relevant experience, including at least three years of working closely with researchers and government officials in India
- Extensive experience in developing strategic engagement and communications programs, including building networks and collaborations to maximize impact on policy/reform
- Expertise in one or more of i.e. India’s core research areas
- A PhD in economics, public policy or political science is desirable, but not required
This position will be based in New Delhi, India, with frequent travel throughout the country when Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, writing sample, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Policy Engagement Manager”.
To view other open positions, visit the MacMillan Center’s Employment Opportunities page.