A panel of 3 judges from the Center will review entries.
The winning award, in the opinion of the judges, shall demonstrate excellence, creativity, and journalistic merit in reporting a news event, feature, or human-interest story.
The judges will consider these main factors:
- degree of difficulty – logistical and other challenges experienced in getting the story;
- the substance of the story;
- the treatment of the story, such as novelty, originality, drama, human interest, humor, and/or pathos;
- comprehensiveness and quality of information;
- the quality of writing and presentation.
The winner will be notified by email and/or by phone no later than September 2, 2017. The winner’s name, photo, and article may be posted on the MacMillan Center’s website. Entrants can check the website after October 1, 2017, for details on the winning entry.