Research Associate, Field-Based – Inclusion Economics India at Krea University
Position: Research Associate, Field-Based
Employer: Inclusion Economics India at Krea University
Location: Patna, Bihar, India or Raipur, Chhattisgarh, India
Start date: ASAP
Who We Are:
Inclusion Economics India at Krea University (formerly EPoD India at IFMR) works in close collaboration with Yale’s Economic Growth Center and MacMillan Center. Drawing upon economics, political science, and related fields, we conduct cutting-edge research to understand how policy can promote inclusive, accountable economies and societies. Our core research focuses on gender as it relates to labor economics and broader economic empowerment; political economy and governance; and environmental economics. We also aim to build a culture of evidence and increase data literacy in the public sector, strengthening leaders’ ability to identify and implement evidence-informed policies. Throughout the research life cycle, we engage closely with policy counterparts to ensure we address questions of immediate relevance, and we regularly communicate data-driven insights with policy counterparts and the general public.
We are currently recruiting one or more Research Associates, to support a portfolio of several field-based research projects in India. The Research Associate will provide field support and oversight for these projects from one of our field offices.
This position requires a self-starting candidate who can conduct in-depth interviews and scoping activities with government counterparts, manage field activities and coordinate field staff for the execution of surveys and RCTs, and support with high quality cleaning and rigorous analysis of both primary and secondary data. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to join a team of leading economists and public policy experts from Yale University and Inclusion Economics India to work on cutting-edge development research and gain first-hand experience working with policy partners, implementing surveys and field experiments, and conducting rigorous data analysis.
- Oversee the day-to-day implementation of field-based research (scoping, surveying, project implementation) – including the management of field personnel, procurement, budgets, and reporting for the project
- Assist in the design and field-testing of survey instruments and develop and implement appropriate structures and systems for a larger randomized intervention, including the procurement of supplies; development and oversight of field and quality control protocols; recruitment, training, and leading of field staff; and coordination with local partners
- Seek out and collect administrative data from policy partners and government agencies
- Conduct data cleaning, manipulation, and analysis using multiple primary and secondary data sources for several Inclusion Economics India-affiliated policy research projects
- Review and report on academic literature of requested topics in support of policy briefs and research projects
- Contribute to analysis and writing of policy briefs for various government partners and case studies on Inclusion Economics India project components
- Manage day-to-day relationships with national, state, and lower-level government officials and other potential partners (academics, policy organizations, NGOs, etc.) as requested
- Provide appropriate inputs for project management (budgets, reports, etc.) for Inclusion Economics India and for program monitoring and reporting to the management hub at Yale
- Others, as required
- Bachelor’s candidates with at least 2 years of experience with data-based research, preferably in economics or a related field
- Field experience is a plus
- Strong interest in public policy and economic development in low-income countries
- Excellent oral and written English and Hindi communication skills and proficiency in Stata and the Microsoft Office suite
- Mature, self-directed individual with ability to balance multiple tasks and prioritize effectively to meet deadlines in a fast-paced working environment
- Master’s degree in economics or related field and experience in Stata is highly desired
- Candidate should have strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to engage with policy partners of various levels
This position will be based in either Raipur or Patna in India, with regular travel expected when Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please fill out our Screening Questionnaire; you will be asked to upload a single PDF containing your CV, cover letter, and academic transcripts. Label your file “Last name, First name – Research Associate, Field-Based”.
To view other open positions, visit the MacMillan Center’s Employment Opportunities page.